Energy Performance Certificate Requirements

If selling or renting a residential property in England or Wales, the law requires you to either have a current Energy Performance Certificate, or to have commissioned a surveyor to carry out the EPC prior to marketing your property.

Energy Performance Certificates (also known as an EPC) gives home owners, tenants and buyers information on the performance of their property. It gives the building a standard energy and carbon emission efficiency grade from ‘A’ to ‘G’ (where ‘A’ is best) and also gives advice on cost effective improvements to improve the current rating.

Energy Performance Certificate Regulations

From 21st May 2010, In order to ensure that people selling their homes continue to make an EPC available to prospective buyers, the Government has laid before Parliament the Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2010 which introduce a number of new requirements including:
a) a new duty on the seller to ensure that Energy Performance Certificates have been commissioned before marketing of the property commences where no such certificate is already available.
b) an EPC has been commissioned when a Home Inspector or Domestic Energy Assessor has been instructed to prepare the EPC and the EPC has either been paid for or has given a clear undertaking to pay for it.
c) a new duty on the person acting on behalf of the seller to be satisfied that an EPC has been commissioned before commencing marketing.
d) all of the new duties carry fixed penalties where somebody fails in the duty conferred on them by the new regulations.
e) a new duty on both the seller and a person acting on their behalf to make reasonable efforts to secure an Energy Performance Certificate within 28 days.

Note: (From 1st April 2012 the requirement to secure an EPC will change to 7 days).

View Example EPC View New Format Sample Energy Performance Certificate 2012 Request A Quote Request An Energy Performance Certificate Quote

 For Solar PV installations, an EPC is required with a rating of band D or above in order to qualify for the feed in tariff higher rate.

The much awaited Green Deal is expected to be launched in October 2012. As a result from 1st April 2012, to highlight improvements that may be available under the scheme, the format of the Energy Performance Certificate has changed.